Microsoft Edge 81 stable has been released and accessible to download for Windows and Mac, your browser will automatically update to this version or you can also manually update Edge to the latest version by visiting the settings page. The Edge 81 stable brought collections and support for Dolby vision playback. The browser will also feature a tool to detect and remove duplicate bookmarks.
The collections feature has been turned into the stable version, Edge allows us to hide the collections button in the toolbar, you can read more about the feature on here.
Added Dolby Vision playback support.
Microsoft provides keyboard shortcuts for reading aloud (Ctrl+Shift+U) and immersive reading features (F9).
The PDF Viewer has been improved, users can now “Create Highlights, Change Colors and Delete Highlights”.
Edge Chromium on Windows 8.1 and above now uses the Windows spell checker.
For distraction-free reading, Immersive Reader now offers line focus, where you can focus your reading on one, three, or five lines at once.
“If you have payment cards saved in your Microsoft account, you can use them in Microsoft Edge while filling out forms.”
Allows users with multiple profiles to select a default profile to open links in external applications at edge://settings/profiles/multiProfileSettings
Microsoft Edge Release Notes 81.0.416.53
Version 81.0.416.53: April 13
- Collections are now available. You can get started by clicking the Collections icon next to the address bar. This action opens the Collections panel, where you can create, edit, and view Collections. We build Collections based on what you do on the web. Whether you are a shopper, traveller, teacher or student, Collections can help. To know more.
- Allow the removal (Hide from toolbar) of the Collections button from the Microsoft Edge toolbar for consistency.
- Local Active Directory account auto-login will only target organizations that enable it. If users are already signed in with an on-premises AD account, they can sign out. Users will only be automatically signed in with the primary account on their operating system if it is an MSA or Azure AD account. Administrators can enable automatic login with a local AD account using the ConfigureOnPremisesAccountAutoSignIn policy.
- Application Guard. Extension support now available in the container.
- Added a message to inform users that Internet Explorer is not installed when they browse to a page set to open in Internet Explorer mode.
- Updated the 3D View tool in Microsoft Edge DevTools with a new feature to help debug the z-index pushdown context. The 3D view shows a representation of the DOM (Document Object Model) depth using color and stacking, and the z-Index view helps you isolate the different stacking contexts of your page. To know more.
- The F12 Dev tools are localized in 10 new languages so they match the language used in the rest of the browser. To know more.
- Added support for Dolby Vision playback. In Dolby Vision-enabled Windows 10 Build 17134 (April 2018 Update), websites can show Dolby vision content. Here’s how to enable Dolby Vision content from Netflix.
- Microsoft Edge can now identify and remove duplicate bookmarks and merge folders with the same name. To access the tool, click on the star on the browser toolbar and select “Remove Duplicate Bookmarks”. You can commit the changes and all updates of your favorites will be synced between devices.
- We’ve heard from users that it can be difficult to distinguish a normal browsing window in a dark theme from an InPrivate window, as both window frames are dark. The new solid blue InPrivate pill in the top right corner helps reassure users that they are browsing InPrivate.
- Open external links in the correct browser profile. Select a default profile for open links to external apps to open edge://settings/multiProfileSettings.
- Added a warning that alerts users who log into a browser profile with one account after having previously logged in with another account. This warning will help prevent unintentional data merging.
- If you have payment cards saved in your Microsoft account, you can use them in Microsoft Edge when filling out payment forms. Cards in your Microsoft account will be synced across all desktop devices and full details will be shared with the website after two-factor authentication (CVC code and your Microsoft ID). For added convenience, you can choose to securely save a copy of the card to the device during authentication.
- Line Focus is designed for users who like to focus on a limited piece of content while reading. It allows users to focus on one, three or five lines at a time and darkens the rest of the page to let users read without distraction. Users can scroll using the touch or arrow keys and the focus changes accordingly.
- Microsoft Edge is now integrated with Windows Speller on Windows 8.1 and higher platforms. This integration provides greater language support, with access to more language dictionaries and the ability to use custom Windows dictionaries. No further action is required from users when a language has been added in the language settings of the operating system. Also, a language spell check toggle is enabled in Microsoft Edge settings.
- When PDF documents are opened using Microsoft Edge, users will now be able to create highlights, change colors and delete highlights. This feature helps to reference important parts of the document later and for collaboration.
- When loading long PDF documents that have been optimized for the web, the pages viewed by the user will load faster, in parallel, while the rest of the document is loading.
- It is now easier to launch Immersive Reader for a website just by pressing the F9 key.
- It is now easier to start reading aloud using a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + U).
- Added an MSI command line parameter that allows you to suppress the creation of desktop icons when installing Microsoft Edge. The following example shows how to use this new parameter:
There will be a group policy to support this functionality in a future release.
11 new policies were added. Download the updated Administrative Templates from the Microsoft Edge Enterprise homepage. The following new policies have been added.
- AmbientAuthenticationInPrivateModesEnabled – Enable ambient authentication for InPrivate and Guest profiles.
- AudioSandboxEnabled – Allows the audio sandbox to run.
- ForceLegacyDefaultReferrerPolicy – Use a non-referrer default referrer policy when downgrading.
- GloballyScopeHTTPAuthCacheEnabled – Enable global scoped HTTP authentication cache.
- ImportExtensions – Allows you to import extensions.
- ImportCookies – Allows the import of Cookies.
- ImportShortcuts – Allows the import of shortcuts.
- InternetExplorerIntegrationSiteRedirect – Specify how “on-page” navigations for unconfigured sites behave when launched in Internet Explorer mode pages.
- StricterMixedContentTreatmentEnabled – Enable stricter handling for mixed content.
- TLS13HardeningForLocalAnchorsEnabled – Enable a TLS 1.3 security feature for local trust anchors.
- ConfigureOnPremisesAccountAutoSignIn – Configure automatic sign-in with an Active Directory domain account when there is no Azure AD domain account.
Policy name and caption changes
OmniboxMSBProviderEnabledis changed to AddressBarMicrosoftSearchInBingProviderEnabled – The policy caption is “Enable Microsoft Search in Bing suggestions in the address bar”.
The following policies continue to work in this release. They will become “obsolete” in a future release.
- WebComponentsV0Enabled – Re-enable the Web Components API v0 through M84.
- WebDriverOverridesIncompatiblePolicies – Allow WebDriver to override the incompatible one.