Microsoft OneDriveThe web version of can now be installed on Chrome, Micorsoft Edge as Progressive web app. The PWA, once added, opens in a standalone window and works like a web browser, can be pinned to the taskbar for quick launch next time. OneDrive PWA can be used on a PC, Mac or Chromebook.
After Outlook, Microsoft made its cloud storage service, Microsoft OneDrive as a PWA.
Microsoft OneDrive is now a PWA
- Once installed, OneDrive PWA opens in a standalone window without an address bar and tabs.
- The Web Edge app menu shows Permissions and Privacy information about the number of cookies in use, tracking prevention status and mode.
- This web app, like others, supports extensions.
A proper PWA works offline and supports push notifications, but that PWA could basically be the OneDrive website running in the Edge browser window. So, you can continue to visit onedrive.live.com in your browser for file sharing needs if you feel this is unnecessary.
But, Microsoft and Google are working to bring amazing features to PWAs on Windows. For example, Chromium PWAs to get support for customizable title bars and become more native.
How to install Microsoft OneDrive PWA
- Visit onedrive.live.com and sign in with Microsoft account
- click on the install address bar icon
- You can pin the OneDrive web app to the taskbar and start menu. You can also allow it to create a desktop shortcut and automatically run at Windows logon.
Note: Firefox does not support Progressive Web Apps natively, you can install this extension and use OneDrive as PWA in Firefox.
How to Uninstall the Microsoft OneDrive Web App
- Visit the about://apps page in Chrome and Micorsoft Edge
- Right-click on “Microsoft OneDrive” and select uninstall and click on To remove button.
Will you install and use OneDrive PWA? Let us know in the comments below.
More like this:
Chrome can remove the status bar from PWAs
Microsoft tests Tab Strip for Edge PWAs in Canary
Microsoft Edge will offer an option to disable colored title bars for PWAs
Chrome 85 brings collapsible tab groups, jump lists for PWAs in Windows 10, and more